Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

My Friend the Hermit

          I  have a friend who I will call Underground Rainbow. She is a good friend, I believe, but am I a good friend to her? This is a question that greatly troubles me. Perhaps you will not understand, but nevertheless, please try to.
          Underground Rainbow is a quiet, shy girl. She doesn't talk much, not even with her so-called friends. To me, it feels like she isn't a close friend, she's almost like a close school friend. You know, a classmate. A close one nevertheless, but a classmate all the same.
          My friend is quite the loner. At lunch, she eats, but she doesn't talk. It's unusual for girls of our age to remain silent. She doesn't really do much; if there is a test, then she asks us to quiz her and she snorts at our stories and jokes, but she doesn't offer anything about herself in return. She's told me stories about her holidays, but not her. She has always been unreachable.
           I remember a long time ago in elementary school that she was just in the same grade as me, nothing more. We hadn't really become friends; we were just aware of each other the way classmates are. Together with another group of students, we transferred to a different school. I knew what she looked like, but I didn't know what she was like. But then, it did not irk me, as we were put in different classes and I did not much care for others. The selfishness of youth, an author once quoted.
           Then came middle school. At first, she went to a different middle school, but then she suddenly changed. I became her tour guide, since we had many similar classes. It was strange, but I didn't care. Not yet, anyway.
            I don't remember what exactly happened, but it seems that Underground Rainbow  brought Ebooks and I together and we gradually became best friends, leaving Underground Rainbow  as the third wheel. We didn't mean to, but I sadly don't think I could've stopped that.
            Perhaps I am exaggerating. I do know her, but there is still a wall. Besides our similar interests, we don't have the same sense of humor, I am more outgoing and sassy than her, and to put it simply, we just don't click. Ebooks and I are like two peas in a pod; regrettably there is no room for a third.
            There. I have poured out some of my most personal thoughts that I would like to share. After that last paragraph, I feel like I am wallowing in self-pity. However, it feels more like guilt and helplessness; I should be a better friend, but how was I to be a real friend to her if she couldn't open up? How could I be better?
            All of this venting was because Underground Rainbow  apparently had to leave in last period and I didn't even realize that she was gone!! She just disappeared!! Sure, I was socializing, but how come she didn't tell me?! It hurt.
            The only thing I know about her is that she would make a great hermit.

No comments:

Post a Comment